Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Fairy Tales, Geez

I got my rejection back from CatsCurious this morning, but it was a very pleasant rejection and certainly not unexpected. I think I'll do a version of Rumpelstiltskin next. It's got lots of possibilities for drama and humor alike, and it includes spinning. What could be sweeter?

That leaves me with a 10,000 word humorous fairy tale retelling on my hands, and nowhere to send it. I think I'll go over it again this weekend and see if I can trim a few thousand words. It'll mean cutting some funny stuff, but it probably needs some finetuning anyway.

Gosh, I'm kind of excited about Rumpelstiltskin. But it seems such an obvious choice that I bet they gets lots of Rumpelstiltskins. Mine will be funniest, though.

I'm nearing 30,000 words in White Rose, incidentally (and incidentally, I accidentally typed Shite Rose first, which is not too far off the mark). I killed off a horse and had one of the characters spill the beans about the missing last stanza of the ballad. Tomorrow I'll have the party be attacked again, but this time they'll destroy the attackers by stampeding a herd of buffalo at them. I mean wisents, not buffalo. Then they'll reach the trade road and I can hurry them along to the big city, with at least one incident in an inn along the way.

But right now, I'm going to go watch a few episodes of Gundam Wing. Box set, baby.

No comments: