Saturday, February 16, 2008

A book for you to buy

I finally bought J.M. McDermott's new book today, The Last Dragon, which came out not quite two weeks ago. He let me read the first chapter before the book was out, so I knew it was going to be good, and so far--I'm still just 50 pages in--I'm very impressed! I'll post a review once I'm done, probably in a few days. I do really recommend it, though. I picked up my copy at B&N, but I saw a copy at Books-a-Million last weekend (but didn't buy it then because I was broke).

After my morning errands, I've spent a restful afternoon and evening reading and writing. I meant to cut big chunks out of the fairy tale "Bearskin" today, but after rereading it, I only trimmed it by 100 words. It just flowed too well to change. I sent it off to a market that it's probably completely wrong for.

I also reread what I've got of White Rose so far, a little over 40,000 words, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that it's not bad. If I found it in the bookstore, written by someone else, I'd buy it. Speaking of which, when I was at the bookstore today I picked up a copy of Green Rider by Kristen Britain. Who knows when I'll have time to read it, but it looked interesting even though it starts off with the bad guy doing evil stuff. Look, other writers, you need to introduce your main character first. If Green Rider didn't have a good premise and a horse on the cover, I wouldn't have bought it after reading the first few pages. I may still regret my decision.

No comments: