Tuesday, April 15, 2008

110 Best Books Evar

Galley Cat posted about the Telegraph's list of 110 Best Books from last year. I've read about 30 of them, mostly from the classics and children's lists (comes from being an English major and a voracious reader at an early age, I guess).

I know if I was stranded on a desert island with lots of food and water and a safe place to sleep and some shade so I wouldn't get too sunburned, and also a deck chair and a pina colada tree, I would not want to while away the hours reading the Telegraph's choice of books. I want my own favorite 110 books.

So, in no particular order, here's my list--of just 25 books, since 110 makes a damn long list and how am I going to rescue all 110 books when the ship sinks, anyway? What books would you want on a desert island with you?

Diana Wynne Jones, Deep Secret, Dark Lord of Derkholm, Dogsbody
Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!, Maskerade, Small Gods
Megan Whalen Turner, The Thief
RLStevenson, Kidnapped
Dorothy Sayers, Murder Must Advertise, Gaudy Night
JRR Tolkien, The Hobbit
Louis Sachar, Holes
Richard Adams, Watership Down
Enid Bagnold, National Velvet
Gideon DeFoe, The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists
Edward Eager, Half Magic
Flannery O'Connor, The Complete Stories (hey, it's one book! It counts!)
P.G. Wodehouse, The World of Jeeves (ditto on the one-book-it-counts)
The Complete Books of Charles Fort (ditto, but I think I'm pushing it)
Leon Garfield, Footsteps
Gerald Durrell, My Family and Other Animals, and Birds, Beasts, and Relatives
Austin Grossman, Soon I Will Be Invincible
K.M. Peyton, "Who, Sir? Me, Sir?"
Jackie Jernigan, Miserable on Purpose

Keep in mind that these are books that I know I can read and reread without getting tired of them--not at all the same thing as "my favorite books." I also didn't list nonfiction books like The Draft Horse Primer, In Sheep's Clothing, or Stitch 'n Bitch Nation, because they would just make me wish I had a draft horse, a spinning wheel, and a pair of knitting needles, respectively, and none of those things would be terribly useful on a desert island. Unless it was overrun with sheep.

I should grab Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell before swimming to the island, because then I might finish reading it.

No comments: