Monday, June 2, 2008

Short story long

Tomorrow is my weekly long day, when I start work at 8am and don't finish until 7:30 pm. I have a new spiral notebook, and hopefully I'll find some time to write. At the moment I appear to be stuck in a mess of transitions in Stag in Velvet. How can I have nothing but transitions for page after page after page? I just hope it doesn't read like nothing but transitions when I'm done writing this section.

I got a reject from Asimov's today, so I took another look at the Longass Story. I managed to cut about 100 word (on balance) and fixed a few minor things. It's up on Baen's Bar now doing the public slush thing, which scares the bejeezus out of me. But if Baen's doesn't want it, I'm pretty much out of markets unless I manage to cut 3,000 words, and I don't think that's possible without gutting the story. Frankly, the story wants to be a novella--it very nearly is already--but that gives me even fewer markets so I'm going for the downward push.

Frankly, I'm pretty sick of short stories. I'm just not very interested in reading or writing them, and there's no money in them--just a little ego boost. But since I'm not selling my novels, I guess I'll have to keep writing short stories so I can keep considering myself a working writer instead of someone with a reclusive hobby.

2 comments:

Cate Gardner said...

Sorry you're feeling so dejected. Hopefully someone will pay you squillions for a novel real soon.

K.C. Shaw said...

Man, I was being whiny last night, wasn't I? Sorry! Although I would like a book deal with an advance in the squillions. :)