Monday, October 6, 2008

Nano uhoh

I've written 1,200 words today, which is 1,200 words more than I wrote all weekend. Unfortunately, I wrote the first 1,200 words of Charmed Circle, which I was saving for Nano.

Well, so what? This is the fourth year I've done Nano. I can bend the rules if I want. And after my rigorous attention to the 3-day novel contest rules, and my dropping wordcounts lately, I don't see any reason not to let myself write before November.

I'm probably only going to write the short first chapter, anyway. It'll set everything up for the plot, and then I can work on the outline. Then I'll write 50,000 more words during Nano, and hopefully finish the book before the end of the year. Since I want this one to run at least 80k words, starting early only makes sense.

Besides, I'm going to pour everything I have into this project. If Evil Outfitters, Ltd. doesn't get me an agent, this one will.

4 comments:

Carrie Harris said...

Woo hoo! You chose number 2! I feel as proud as I do when I choose the girl that The Bachelor is going to select, except that I don't watch that show any more. :)

Cate Gardner said...

Cheat :/)



*I'm only jealous as I've got so much I want to get done before November I'm going to explode.

K.C. Shaw said...

Cate--lol, I am cheating, I know! I only feel a little guilty, though. Mostly I'm just glad I'm excited about the project.

Carrie Harris, you chose Bachelor #2! I think you should have to write this book for me since you picked the right project.

Anonymous said...

There is no cheating in the writerly life!* Seize the moment, woman! Write the book as it comes.


*(Not counting obvious stuff here, like plagiarism, which I could argue is not the writerly life, but something else.)