Thursday, October 16, 2008

No weredeer Google-fu for me.

I just Googled "weredeer" and I haven't moved up in rank. I'm still on page two (a very old post), with my blog itself listed on page three along with an old capture of my website as it used to be, and the main page of my newly revised website on page four. The only reason I want to hit page one is so when I do (eventually) sell my book The Weredeer, by gawd people can find my blog and website! Without having to browse around!

I checked out my competition on page one. There's a woman who makes quilts and calls herself weredeer, and a man who has the most boring blog in the universe (sorry, dude, but it's true--you don't mention books at all) who calls himself weredeer. I can't figure out why either of these two chose that particular handle. Even I never thought about weredeer until one morning two and a half years ago when I thought someone who could shapeshift into a deer instead of a wolf would be an interesting character, and kind of funny too.

The rest of the pages seem to be related to various awful-looking video games, excruciatingly bad fiction, and a few joke news articles. People! I wrote a book called The Weredeer and I'm not even on the first page of a Google search for "weredeer"? Where's the justice in that?

Oh, right. I haven't actually had the book published. A mere quibble! The manuscript's at 320 days and pending at Mundania, where I sent it last year; at least, I hope it's still pending and I didn't just miss the rejection email. I can't pester them again because I just pinged them in June and got a nice note back that it was still under consideration. I try to be patient, I really do.

Also, weredeer weredeer weredeer. Geez, do you think that should do it or what? (Oh, and Google, no I do not mean "were deer." That doesn't make sense.)

4 comments:

Cate Gardner said...

I insist you reference weredeer ine very post until you hit number one. Darn those boring people.

K.C. Shaw said...

Maybe I'll do that! I can slip it in subtly, like "Today I washed the weredeer dishes." People will start to think it's my own personal cussword.

Carrie Harris said...

Yep. It actually doesn't matter how many times you mention it in the post, but how many individual posts you mention it in. I am apparently the Queen of Google Fu. I know these things. ;)

K.C. Shaw said...

Aha! In that case, I'm aiming for the top! Thank you, Queen of Google-Fu.