Saturday, January 24, 2009

thoughts on Inkheart

I saw Inkheart today. It was okay. It had lots of intriguing ideas which weren't explored at all, and there were almost a dozen similarly interesting characters whose stories weren't explored either, and the special effects were good and the writing was decent and it was all okay. Just not all that great when taken as a whole. I'm sure the book, which has the room to explore everything that was glossed over in the movie, is much better. Maybe I'll pick up a copy one of these days.

After the movie, I got to thinking about the main idea, that certain people can make book characters come into the real world out of the book's world. Now, I can instantly see a million ways to abuse this, and I'm not just talking about the bad guy's desire for henchmen and gold, although I certainly wouldn't turn my back on that either. I mean, think about it. You can find anything in books, and not just the public domain ones from the movie, too. And let's not even think about erotica, although I bet you did.

In the movie, the characters visited the author of the book Inkheart--I mean the fictional author of the fictional Inkheart, not the real author of the real Inkheart that the movie is made from. It's confusing, I know. And the author was delighted to meet one of his characters in person. Now, I don't know about you all, but if some of my characters came to life, they would so totally beat the shit out of me for making their lives hell.

I'm not sure I'd want to meet them anyway. Because even if they didn't know I was their creator, they probably wouldn't like me very much. I don't write about people like me because I'm boring, so me and my characters don't have a lot in common. My characters would not want to hang out with me.

And what if I was able to go and live in a world I'd created? Would I? I don't know.

Well, yes, actually, I would. Especially if I could take a bunch of those henchmen and all that gold with me too.

No comments: