Thursday, August 27, 2009

+1 for August

You remember that time travel story I complained about more or less constantly from about February to end of April this year? The one I wrote for the Time in a Bottle anthology that I figured they would reject, at which point I intended to delete the story from my hard drive forever? The one I sweated over and hated so much that once it was done, I swore off writing short stories for all eternity (which lasted about six weeks)?

I just got an acceptance for it. I am once again reminded that I'm completely incapable of judging my own work.

(It's a story set in the same world as Jack of All Trades, with Jack, Helen, and Pepper as the main characters, so I'm especially pleased. And if you haven't already, don't forget to post a comment here to enter the Jack of All Trades contest.)

12 comments:

Danielle Birch said...

Yay for the acceptance. Still waiting for Jack Of All Trades to arrive. Hopefully I'll get my sticky little fingers on it soon.

K.C. Shaw said...

I hope it arrives soon too! Sorry it's taking so long for you.

Jameson T. Caine said...

Congrats on the acceptance. Maybe I'll hear from them soon, too. Hopefully before my story reaches the 200 days out mark.

K.C. Shaw said...

Ooh, I hope we get to share a TOC! Apparently they were swamped with subs and are just now getting through them.

Aaron Polson said...

Huzzah! I'm loving Jack thus far.

BT said...

Excellent news. I was pretty much the same way with Dreaming. Could it be the hardest story to get out tends to be some of the best work we create...

Looking forward to reading it.

Jamie Eyberg said...

Congratulations! A well fought and worthwhile endeavor. Can't wait to see it.

Cate Gardner said...

First off the normal boring Congratulations followed by a squee! More Jack, Helen and Pepper. Pepper most of all.

K.C. Shaw said...

BT--I still don't think this is my best story by any means, but as long as the editor's happy with it, I'm happy with it.

Jamie--I think the anthology will be interesting. Time travel stories are always fun.

Cate--Thanks! Pepper's my favorite too. :)

Carrie Harris said...

Yay! I'm doing the happy acceptance dance for you!

Anne Spollen said...

Great on the acceptance! Isn't it weird how we can't judge our own work? Sometimes I say to an editor, but what about the duh duh duh part? Shouldn't I take that out? And they say, "Are you nuts? That MAKES the story. However, the la la la part could go..."

Of course, the la la la part is usually what I like the most.

Sounds like you are really moving ahead in your writing life!

K.C. Shaw said...

Carrie--That's my favorite dance!

Anne--Knowing that I'm not good at identifying what's good or bad in a story sure makes it easier to take an editor's suggestions. In fact, this story was a rewrite after the editor wrote me and asked that I change the second half.