Friday, March 5, 2010

The Pina Colada/Toyota Yaris Song

Yesterday, after buying a ridiculous number of books at the Friends of the Library awesome book sale, I cleaned my car out and washed it and took it to the Toyota dealer.

I said, "I've got this 2007 Yaris but I'm interested in a newer one. What kind of incentives are you running right now?"

The dealer gave me a wary look as though he was dealing with a crazy person, particularly after I explained that I wanted a Yaris yes-exactly-just-like-my-current-Yaris-only-blue, and that I didn't like keyless entry and power windows and all that kind of thing, and that my floormats were still in the original plastic and stored in the back because I don't like floormats.... Anyway, he took me to see the 2010 Yarises.

I looked at a red one--because they didn't have any blue--and sat down in the driver's seat and thought, "Hmm, this is just like my car except it smells new." And I've never liked that new car smell, just like I don't like the smell of coffee.

So I left. All day today I pretended that I did actually have a brand new car (it's certainly clean enough), only it's magically half paid for already and the dealership preset all the buttons to my favorite radio stations. And I've been really happy about the car that I was bored with yesterday. It's just like The Pina Colada Song, and in fact you can sing it "If you like Toyota Yaris" instead, but I'm not interested enough or clever enough to work out the rest of the chorus to make it about cars too.

So anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is, I didn't buy a car yesterday but I bought 14 books. Which is as it should be.

4 comments:

Fox Lee said...

That was very thrifty of you : )

Jamie Eyberg said...

Haggling with car dealers is a fun little pastime of mine. I am probably no good at it, but I have fun with it.

Jameson T. Caine said...

Books are better! They're cheaper, don't cost any further money to maintain and transport you to places a car could never reach. ;)

K.C. Shaw said...

Natalie--I think so. I know I'd be feeling pretty stupid if I'd bought a none-blue car.

Jamie--I hate it. I think I'm pretty good at it (more or less), but I don't like doing it.

Jameson--Absolutely! Also, I don't feel guilty when I buy 14 of them. :)