Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Poor toe

Sunday I stubbed my pinky toe so hard on a chair that I made up new cusswords to yell because the old ones weren't potent enough. I hopped around screaming and dripping blood from my damaged toe for about an hour--okay, maybe two minutes--before determining that my injury was not in fact life-threatening. It's been a good excuse to wear sandals to work every day, though.

Well, this evening I went by the store, and after I'd paid I picked up my bag and promptly dropped it on THAT SAME TOE, which immediately began to bleed all over the place (or at least all over my favorite flip-flops). I would put it down to coincidence, but here's what I had in the bag:

two plums
carton of strawberry yogurt
single-serving plastic bottle of lemonade
puzzle magazine

In other words, nothing heavy and nothing with sharp corners. I can only assume that my toe is destined to lose its nail--it's looking pretty gross and purple--and that I'm destined to keep wearing those really cute sandals to work.

I'd liken the injuring and reinjuring of my little toe to the repeated blows of getting rejection letters, but frankly I'd rather just eat this yogurt.

To keep this writing-related, even if tangentially (toegentially?), I have no idea how much I've written on the tentatively-titled How Christopher Kaplan Learned to Lie because most of it's still not typed up, but I'm pretty sure I'm close to 10,000 words. That means I'm probably a quarter of the way through, maybe more!

11 comments:

Richard said...

Youch. I know exactly the single-serving lemonade bottle you're referring to, since I buy 'em too. Yummy.

Last weekend I managed to do something awful to one of my toes; I have no idea what happened, but it was bad enough that I could barely walk for several days--and yet I'm fine now. Hope yours heals as fast as mine.

K.C. Shaw said...

Yeah, it's those Simply Lemonade bottles--the ones that have smooth, rounded corners. My lemonade hates me.

Your lifestyle is a tiny bit more active than mine. You probably hurt your toe while kicking someone in the face. I hurt my toe on lemonade. *sighs*

Alan W. Davidson said...

Ouch! I can almost picture the nasty toe. Glad to hear the rejections are only driving you to strawberry yogurt and not chocolate icecream (ummm...just got thinking of peanut buster parfaits...)

K.C. Shaw said...

Uh oh. You know, I do have chocolate ice cream in the freezer. And I was being so good!

I can eat the ice cream tomorrow. :)

Aaron Polson said...

I'm feeling some pain. Toes can hurt, oh...they can hurt.

Whoot for progress on the CKL2L front!

Fox Lee said...

Ah, toes. Poor abused little piggies.

K.C. Shaw said...

Aaron and Natalie--poor little piggies indeed! Now I know why the littlest piggy cried wee wee wee all the way home. He got stubbed!

That sounded dirty.

Cate Gardner said...

Ugh! Toes.

In prettier news, your word count is making me uber jealous.

K.C. Shaw said...

I am pretty awed by my wordcount. My toe, not so much.

Danielle Birch said...

What is that evil force that makes you keeping dropping things on the injured toe.

K.C. Shaw said...

Maybe my toe has developed its own gravity field and things are just attracted to it.