Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Thanks, brain. Thanks a lot.

Just a few weeks before NaNo starts and what have I been doing? Have I been finishing up Christopher Kaplan like I'd planned? Have I been jotting notes for Adventures in Zoology? Maybe I've just been too busy editing The Weredeer to do much writing at all.

No, indeed. The last two days I've spent my time obsessively plotting out a steampunk version of "Goldielocks and the Three Bears." Today I started writing it and I'm 1,000 words in.

Seriously, that's what I've been wasting my time on. "Goldielocks and the Three Bears." WTF, brain, WTF?

Actually, this isn't a novel and I've been meaning to write it for weeks. CatsCurious Press has opened for submissions to its second Faery Taile double-feature and I wanted to try it out. What could be more of a challenge than a 12,000 word retelling of "Goldielocks and the Three Bears"? It's a story with hardly any plot to speak of. Take out the actual, literal bears, turn it into a gritty steampunk drama (but not too gritty, because this has to be appropriate for the 12 and up crowd), and make sure the bad guy--Papa Bear, now a steamworks part-owner (a "bear") named Jimson Ramsey--has plenty to do off-screen for the companion story, and it's even more challenging. So yes, that's what I'm working on right now. Why do you ask?

2 comments:

Cate Gardner said...

If you're not insane already, I predict you will be by November 1st.

K.C. Shaw said...

As my grandfather used to say, I'd have to back up to go crazy.