Sunday, July 8, 2012

Wallpaper blues

The nasty, ugly wallpaper in the master bath finally made me snap. This weekend I've been tearing it down.

I've done this before, and it's a big job even in a small room. I hate wallpaper. This stuff seems to have been put up using superglue; I've gotten all the paper off, but there's still chunks and blops of glue remaining. I even got a solvent to remove it...and the solvent doesn't work. So I plan to damn well paint over the glue. It's a bathroom. No one's going to notice.

I'm going to have to paint the wainscotting too. It's currently a weird shade of brown, and the paint under the olive green wallpaper is...olive green. I like light colored rooms, especially for small rooms and especially for bathrooms where dark colors make me think the room is probably dirty. I'm going to paint the wainscotting plain, clean white. The upper parts of the walls I'll probably paint a very pale shade of aqua.Once all that's done, I get to pick out new towels and a new shower curtain, which is the fun part.

But before I can paint the walls aqua, I need to remove the current--hideous--light fixture above the mirror. It's rust-colored because it's purposefully rusted to look rustic (rusty rustic). It's also fluffy with dust. I hate this light fixture more than anything else in the universe. Once I've got it removed, I can go back to hating racism and war, but right now all I can think about is the light fixture.

I even bought a new light fixture already, a clean, elegant chrome one with white shades. And I was going to remove the old one today, but when I tried to figure out which breaker controlled the master bath so I wouldn't electrocute myself, I discovered that apparently the master bath is controlled by some switch in another town. So I will have to get my good and deserving aunt to take a look at it next time she's over. She's a good handyman and can probably rewire lamps with her mind powers alone. She'll also understand my white-hot need to get that light fixture replaced.

So this is what I do in between books. I have managed to find time to outline Wharf Rat this weekend too, though. I'll probably start writing it as soon as I can get that light fixture removed.

7 comments:

Diana said...

You can sand off the chunks of glue with a small handheld sheetpad sander. Here's a link to one at home depot. http://bit.ly/Oo8kAZ It's only thirty bucks, because you just know that once you get the new light fixture in, you'll be able to see all those bumps and it will drive you nuts. (get a dusk mask too to protect your lungs)

K.C. Shaw said...

Oh man, I didn't even think about having a new light fixture that will show the lumps. Sanding it is. (Might as well do it right the first time, right?) Thanks!

Michael McClung said...

fixture fixation. a serious malady.

Paula RC said...

Your posting made me smile:-) I would be the same, best get it right first time, K.C. Do forget to show us pictures. Before and after

Good luck with 'Wharf Rat'

P.S have you read my short story' Roofscapes' on You're Booked site. There's a link on my blog. It's part of the Harrogate Crime writing festivals.

K.C. Shaw said...

Michael--I hope I can fix it. :)

Paula--I took a few pictures of before, although I didn't remember to get a before picture before I actually started.

I'll definitely go check out your story!

Cate Gardner said...

Completely ignoring the bathroom stuff because I'm suffering from bathroom stuff of my own and it makes me shudder...I love the title 'Wharf Rat'.

K.C. Shaw said...

I'm always so tickled when you like one of my titles. :)

Every time I see you tweet about painting your bathroom, I think, "Oh, I'm glad I don't have to do that." And now I DO. I am insane.